As summer winds down, people get ready for a cozy winter season with the urge to hibernate and tuck into comfort foods. Winter is a fun season and there are plenty of things to love about winter: cozy nights in and best of all – delicious and mouthwatering food to warm you up.
To get through the colder months, we are going to share some appealing winter recipes. On top of being fulfilling, these will also keep you fit and healthy all around the winter!
So, whether you’re considering a plant-based diet or simply want some delicious vegan recipes, look no further because these recipes will save a lot of your time and have your family scrambling to the table asking for more!
Hearty Family Winter Recipes:
Slow cooker chicken casserole
This recipe is best for busy working parents. A slow cooker meal guarantees tasty food on the table after a long tiring day. This flavorsome meal contains chicken, carrots, and new potatoes. The cool thing about this recipe is it takes just five minutes of prep time. Thus, you can throw it together before work. Your kids are going to love this easy meal!
- 800g – 1kg boneless chicken thigh fillets/drumsticks/breasts
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 – 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 500g new potatoes, cut in half
- 1tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chicken stock cubes/pots
- 300ml boiling water
- Gravy granules to thicken
HOW TO COOK:
- First add all the ingredients to the slow cooker, apart from the gravy granules.
- Give everything a gentle stir to mix together.
- Then place the lid on the slow cooker and set off on low for 8 to 10 hours, or high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Take the lid off (30 minutes before the end) and stir in 2 to 3 tbsp of gravy granules.
- Allow the stock to thicken up for the last 30 minutes.
- Finally, remove the bay leaves.
Chicken & sweetcorn ramen
Who doesn’t love ramen and especially when it’s winter you gotta give this meal an extra score for its deliciousness and time-effective recipe. Rustle up this Japanese inspired noodle for your family. Chicken breast and sweetcorn in the comforting broth will up your dinner game for the taste. Make it more fun using chopsticks and love this noodle recipe.
- 1 pack instant ramen noodles
- 600ml chicken stock
- ½ cooked chicken breast, sliced
- 4 tbsp sweetcorn, peas, or chopped beans
- 1 egg
- sesame oil, to serve (optional)
HOW TO COOK:
- First, put the noodles in a pan without adding the flavor sachet. Then, pour over the stock and put it on a boil. Simmer until cooked.
- The 2nd step is to lift the noodles out of the pan and transfer them to two bowls. Then you will have to bring the stock in the pan back to a simmer, add the chicken, and cook until heated through. Get the chicken out with a spatula, then transfer to the bowls. You will need to warm the sweetcorn or cook the peas in the stock, bringing back to the boil if you need to, then transfer to the bowl.
- Meanwhile, boil the egg for 6 mins. Be careful while removing and cool under the cold tap. Then peel and halve and add an egg half to each bowl. Then pour it over the noodles. Finally, add a few drops of sesame oil, if you like.
Tom Kha – Thai Coconut & Galangal Soup
Don’t have time but still want to enjoy a savory meal? This Tom Kha – Thai Coconut & Galangal Soup is perfect for you! This recipe won’t take up much of your time giving you a relaxed feeling of the cold, wintry day. Galangal originates from the ginger family. It has a similarly-delicious fragrant and herbal flavor composition. You can find a plethora of articles on this recipe, choose one, and make it yourself at home.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 cups sodium-free chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 (2-inch) piece galangal, thinly sliced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces and crushed
- 8 ounces oyster or white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 or 5 fresh bird’s eye chiles, bruised
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
HOW TO COOK:
- The first step is to use the back of a knife, lightly smash lemongrass and ginger; cut lemongrass into 4” pieces. Bring lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, and broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Make sure to reduce heat and simmer until flavors are melded, 8–10 minutes. Strain broth into a clean saucepan; discard solids.
- Secondly, add chicken and return to a boil. Then lower heat, add mushrooms, and simmer, skimming occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and mushrooms are soft, 20–25 minutes. Mix in coconut milk, fish sauce, and sugar.
- Finally, divide soup among bowls. Serve with chili oil, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Chinese Chicken Stir fry
One of the best winter dinner recipes is the Chinese Chicken Stir fry. Requires less time and a tasty dinner idea. You can use whatever vegetables you have in the fridge to make this tasty meal for your family. You will love these noodles as they only take minutes to heat through.
- 1 lb chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 zucchini sliced or cubed
- 2 Tbsp oil divided
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup broccoli cut into florets
- 1 small carrot julienned or cubed
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 red pepper cubed
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/2 onion cubed
- ½ cup cashews
Best Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
HOW TO COOK:
- First, cut chicken thighs of excess fat and cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then cut the vegetables into even-sized pieces (about the same size as the chicken pieces).
- The next step is to combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil. Once the oil gets hot, add chicken in a single layer. You will have to cook chicken until browned. Mix as needed. Once cooked, remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Later, add the remaining oil, butter to the pan with the broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, red peppers, onion, and carrots. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Then add the chicken back to the pan and add garlic, ginger and cook for 1 minute by stirring frequently.
- Lastly, add the cashews and pour the sauce into the pan. Bring them to a boil and turn down heat. Let stir fry simmer until the sauce thickens and is well incorporated with the remaining ingredients. If you want you can garnish with green onion and sesame seed before serving.
Lean turkey burger and sweet potato fries
Burgers are everyone’s favorite during the winter season and this oven-cooked turkey burger works just as well on a cold night. Turkey is a lighter alternative to classic beef burgers. You don’t need the bun, rather serve with wedges and you’re all set. Your kids will love the chunky sweet potato chips. Once you make it for your family they will crave for more!
- 2 small sweet potatoes (1 lb.)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. chili powder, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 c. Chopped cilantro
- 1/2 avocado, plus more for serving
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 4 toasted whole-grain sandwich thins
HOW TO COOK:
- First, cut sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch-wide sticks; Then it’s time to toss on a large rimmed baking sheet, with olive oil, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast at 450 degrees F in the oven, 20 to 25 minutes or until crisp, shaking once.
- Add garlic with turkey, cilantro, remaining chili powder, and remaining salt. Make 4 patties. Then grill on medium 12 to 15 minutes or until cooked through (165 degrees F), turning once.
- Mash avocado with lime juice. Then place burgers on whole-grain sandwich thins; top with avocado and tomato, cucumber, lettuce, and sprouts as desired. Serve with fries.
The Winter season is all about having fun as you can go skiing and snowboarding in the mountains to curl up by the fire and enjoy some hot chocolate. It is the perfect time to get cozy.
However, you should remain careful about any barrier that might ruin the fun of the whole season. One barrier could be a plumbing issue that might show up at the advent of winter. You can contact theplumbing911 for routine maintenance. Give us a call at (866) 720-0911 and our expert team will be right there at your house to fix any plumbing problems.